Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I’m not scheduled for my next MRI until July 15, but friends in the brain tumor support group have encouraged me to update my blog.  The mid April MRI revealed that the tumor has recurred.  It is a small growth somewhat behind the area cleared by surgery and radiation in late 2011.  It is not affecting the quality of my life and I am not taking any additional treatment.  I have not been seeing a neuro-oncologist over the past year, but if the tumor is more concerning in July, I will ask Dr. Weyburn’s opinion on that.  I’m optimistic and you should be also.

Please join me in reaching out with thoughts and prayers to others in my group who are struggling.  One young woman with a 2 year old child is fighting a glioblastoma - with all her energy and optimism.  She is currently using the relatively new Novo TTF therapy (Google it) which requires her to shave her head a few times each week and adhere tight fitting transducers to her scalp.  She wears this very warm and heavy electrical device for at least 22 hours each day, carrying a heavy battery pack with her when she travels.   She says if it helps keep the tumor at bay, she is willing to wear it forever.  She has had two craniotomies and radiation.  We walked together in the 5K Bridgewalk.  She is amazing – and so is her husband. 
 
Stay well, and thanks for your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment