Sunday, November 13, 2011

An inside look at planning my radiation


First, thank you for your patience in waiting for an update on the blog.  My computer was out of commission for a week with a virus.  Then after working 4 ½ hours here, the geek couldn’t finish the job and is scheduled to be back at it Monday morning.  At least now I can get access to some parts of it. 

About 10 days ago I spent a fascinating 45 minutes with Pat, the dosimetrist who was a key player in the planning for my radiation.  I had asked the radiation oncologist for a copy of my radiation plan.  He set it up for me to get the plan in this meeting so I could ask questions.  The image above is one of many shots Pat had on his computer.  As part of the planning, he merges the images from 3 past MRIs of mine, taken before and after the surgery.  From that and a CT taken just before his planning, Pat has the computer shape the image of my head and brain, and then the tumor that was inside it. 

The light pink is my brain.  The darker pink is (or was) my tumor.  From the computer scan, he suggests the exact size and placement of the radiation.  It is then reviewed by their physicist, the radiation oncologist, and the radiation therapists who often make small adjustments to make sure the entire tumor area is covered with as little focus on healthy tissue as possible.

I thought you might enjoy seeing this image.  We are past the halfway mark now.  Only 3 weeks left!

1 comment:

  1. Astonishing image! Thank goodness for our high-tech medical equipment! Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete