Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Two faces of Dorothy

November 23rd has been a special day for years in that it was Don’s mom’s birthday.  Don and I used to joke that Mom liked nothing more than a good family crisis on which she could focus.  Particularly a medical crisis.  As soon as Pop found himself in a hospital bed hooked up to tubes, Mom would run to the pharmacy for an instant camera, fill it with shots of Pop and then instantly mail the photos to Don.  Pop did the same thing.  I’d bet I could fill a drawer with hideous shots of both of them.  So today I have made her proud.

I haven’t been feeling well lately.  Food hasn’t been appealing and I’ve had a lousy cold.  I went to bed early, hoping for a cure.  On one of the many trips to the bathroom, at about 1:00am I fainted on my way into the room.  I woke up trying to figure out whose blood was dripping on me and realized I was crammed on the floor outside the shower room.  Too many months of high dose steroids four years ago to treat platelet problems have left me without the leg strength to get up from the floor, but I did get the cell phone and call 911.  Paramedics quickly arrived and took me to the hospital for a CT scan of my head (why is it always my head I fall on??) which was fine.  They gave me a few stitches in my forehead and sent me off. 

Leaving was easy to do because my brother John had arrived 10 minutes after I did as a result of an emergency call from my next door neighbor while the ambulance was still in the driveway.  He lives at least 45 minutes from the hospital so I don’t know how he made it, but he stayed with me at home until it was Twisted Stem time this morning.  I got to skip radiation today, adding it on to the end.  Still only 6 days to go!!

So, to all of you who have told me how good I looked as a blonde, I offer these shots of the two faces of Dorothy.  In one, the happy blonde tumored and slightly colored side.  In the other, the bald, stitches, purple swelling and darkening melatonin from radiation side.  You’re right, blonde is better than bald.  Happy birthday Mom.  Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

 

1 comment:

  1. oh no...you fell...well, I am glad that you were able to call for help and that you were able to photograph your injury in order to honor Don's mom!!!

    Guess what? Mike had to go to Canada for work and has to be there until next Friday...so in order to celebrate Thanksgiving, Mom and Todd came over to my house tonight to sleep over! Then tomorrow we are going out for a very traditional dinner at Baker's Square!!!! We are so wild and crazy!

    We love you lots!!!!

    ReplyDelete